Say yes to the art’s surprise in each expression
It’s difficult to explain in few lines the rich of the art’s masterpieces and the beauty of the architectures that during the centuries have decorated the city. Theatre’s lovers could live some realistic feelings during an evening in “The New Phoenix”, one of the bigger and more interesting historic theatre in Le Marche. Let enjoy yourself!
The New Phoenix Theatre
It’s one of the most beautiful historic theatre in Le Marche region. It was built in neoclassic style over the ruins of an ancient theatre. The architect Gaetano Canedi in fact from 1877, assiduously worked here to make reborn The Phoenix.
In September 1894, The New Phoenix was inaugurated with the representation of Carmen of Bizet. The inside in horseshoe, is characterized by artistic decorations of 800 and he develops in three order’s stages and the gods can host 444 people. On the stage stand out the colors of the beautiful historic curtain, painted by Alfonso Goldini and recently restored.
The theatre The New Phoenix of Osimo, suggest various shows during the whole year. Particularly appreciate is the winter season of prose, in which the protagonists, beyond the big names of the Italian theatre, there are also young students of acting class.
From June to September: Friday and Saturday 18:00-20:00, Sunday and holydays 10:00-12:30/18:00-20:00
From October to May: Friday and Saturday 17:30-19:30, Sunday and holydays 10:00-12:30/17:30-19:30
In the others day only booked visits, number +39 071 7231773 (City Library).
– full price ticket – 2€
– reduced price ticket – 1€ (for children from 6 to 12, groups at least of 15 people)
– cumulative ticket with Archeologic Museum – 3€
Free for children under 6 years and for disable with partner.
In the oriental area of the Palazzo Campana, is hosted the Civic Museum of Osimo, that has inside some pieces from the Civic Collection of Art, the public palaces and from city’s Churches closed, as San Filippo Neri and San Silvestro.
Five rooms in chronological order, will conduce you in an art’s journey from Medio eve to Contemporary Age. During the visit it’s possible to admire The Madonna and Child with Angels, a sculpture from the 12th century; the frescos of the 300 by Andrea De Bologna; the precious polyptych of the venetian brothers Antonio and Bartolomeo Vivarini, showing the coronation of the Virgin (1464) or the evanescent lines and the colors of Claudio Ridolfi’s paintings, a venetian artist but from Le Marche region of adoption. To represent the artistic souls of the 7th century of the baroque we can find prestigious pieces by Pomarancio, the amazing ecstatic look of Guercino’s San Francesco and the strong contrasts lighted and darker of the Vestizione of San Silvestro of Giovan Francesco Guerrieri, named as “Caravaggio delle Marche”. The museum host also a series of contemporary art’s masterpieces, donation of artist from Le Marche region: genre’s scenes, local landscapes, famous portraits of Osimo’s citizen, but also drawings and paintings.
The series of xylographyes by Bruno Marsili, named as Bruno Da Osimo, in which stand out La Virgo Lauretana and the printings in many ways of Luigi Bartolini, polyhedric artist who lived in Osimo; so interesting! You will find unique the loft in the last room where 250 papier-mâché’s little statue by Luigi Guacci are situated, important donation of a local collector.
Open only booked visits. Phone number +39 348 6017673 – 347 7716466
– full price ticket 3€
– reduced price ticket 2€ (for groups at least of 15 people)
In courtyard of Palazzo dell’ Episcopio, where expose the Cathedral and Baptistery’s entrance, we find the Museum Diocesan’s hall, the course of the faith that pick up in sixteen rooms the depositions of the Osimo’s community history.
Inside there are many sculptures and paintings, holy and reliquary parameters. Between the beauties shielded, it come out a argent foil representing S. Leopardo, first Osimo’s bishop, and an argent and gold cross, made by Gianlorenzo Bernini, which contain a Santa Croce relics.
It’s impossible not to admire the beauty of artwork like polyptychs made by Pietro di Domenico from Montepulciano (1418) and by Battista Franco called the Semolei (1547), or the Madonna with the kid and the saints Filippo and Giacomo, made by Simone de Magistris in 1585.
The textiles and the argents of the little “treasure” of the cathedral and a rare example of an organ of the 17th century still in perfect conditions, complete the general description of the little beauties conserved inside the museum.
San Leopardo’s Cathedral
Open every day 8:00-12:30/ 15:30-19:00
Climbing on Antica Rocca street, towards the high point of the city, we’ll find the beautiful cathedral of Saint Leopardo and Saint Tecla, who reigns the hill. Realized in white stone, it represents one of the most beautiful roman and gothic architecture’s exemplum of Le Marche region.
The original structure from the 17th and 18th century rises on a primitive church of the 5th century and on the ruins of a pagan temple dedicated to the health’s divinities, Esculapio and Igea. During the years it suffered some alterations without lose the ancient austerity, that it’s reflect nowadays too on the external façade.
We can analyze some animal and human pictures that adorn the big rose window and the fine gates in stone under the portico. We can admire the lunet on the right with Madonna In Trono and Kid and Saints Apostles too. From the yard of the episcopal palace we can access to the solemn inner composed by three naves and surrounded by five chapels. The alters on the wright was realized by Costantini. Between the paintings and the frescos there are artworks of Gian Domenico Lombardi, Francesco Albani, Elmo Cappannari.
An important mention is about the painting of Ecce Homo by Guido Reni in the Sacra Spina’s chapel. We ca find also the Cristo Pantocratore on the apsis painted by the roman painter Virginio Monti.
To admire better the details you have to climb on the stairs that bring to the presbytery. You will find out to walk on a beautiful mosaic pavement of the 18th century with waves that recall the pool of Siloe in Jerusalem.
Before going out don’t forget to go to the crypt of the 17th century by Maestro Filippo that finished it in 1191. Try to find out well the title block with the date on the ceiling! It’s evident how the expert has utilized roman and byzantine recyclable materials, overall if you look the 16 capitals of the coloumns, all different from one to each other, for decoration and material. The “paliotto” of the major altar with the sarcophagus of SS martyrs represents the Adoration of Magi and the biblical scene of Jona who goes out from the mouth’s whale in the superior part, while in the bottom it reports a pagan hinter’s scene: an important cultural syncretism.
Open every day as the cathedral’s timetable
In the adjacent building to the Cathedral, we can see the door of the Church of Saint Giovanni Battista, built probably in the 17th century, but we don’t have certain news.
Today is called baptistery because inside it preserves the fine bronze baptismal font realized by Tarquinio and Pier Paolo Jacometti’s brothers of Recanati in the first half of 17th century.
The important ceiling coffer by the artist Antonio Sarti shows important biblical scenes belong to the water and to his power of safety and the altar with the painting showing Christ’s baptism of Scuola Marattesca.
With the restoration are come back some parts of previous frescos on the north wall of the ancient Church, in which comes out a cross in the middle of some stars.
Church Of SS Trinita’
Open in weekday 9:00-12:30/ 15:30-19:00
In front of the municipal building, the façade with precious polychrome marbles of The Church of SS Trinity, better known as Chiesa Del Sacramento about we have information since 1272, is evident.
During the 19th century the architect Costantino Costantini followed the restoration, adding some decorations that adorn it nowadays.
Important is also the altarpiece situated inside the church, attributed to Guido Reni that represents the Trinity and the Holy House of Loreto. In the low corner on the right of the painting reveals the portrait of the costumer: the bishop Antonio Maria Gallo, at that time protector of the Holy House and the treasurer’s office of Pope Sisto V.
Church Of San Giuseppe Da Copertino
Open every day 6:30-12:30/15:30-19:00
The church offers important artworks. In the second altar from the left there is a fine “Madonna col Bambino” and Saints of Antonio Solario of venezia (1503) where somebody sees the features of Boccolino of Guzzone acting as a young soldier that is kleened on the right.
Some minimal fragments of the frescos are original of the inside of the 3rd century and they are still visible, like the beauty “Virgin of Sorrows better known as “Madonna’s Face” in a space between the second and the third altar on the right. In the last altar on the right it’s surprising the scenography altarpiece of Mattia Preti, “Vision of St. Anthony of Padua”. The apsis hosts the figure of St. Joseph of Cupertino, majestic with the angels ‘glory, that invites the visitor to look towards the beautiful dome painted by Gaetano Bocchetti.
Entering on the left in the sanctuary’s sacristy you can admire the ceilings with the frescos representing the Four Evangelists (XIV century) and the painting of Ludovico Mazzantini with St. Joseph of Cupertino in ecstasy because of the seen of Loreto’s sanctuary (XVIII century).
Going on to the “private chapel” where the saint had his mystic flights, you will find a beautiful wooden altar with a painting representing with pure colors, the “Maria’s Purification”, a splendid artwork of the XVIII century belong to the ambit of Claudio Ridolfi.
Travel through again the nave towards the exit, you can admire the fresco representing Saint Francesco d’Assisi that leaves Ancona’s harbor. The “Pour” set out in mission towards the Est, on 24 June 1219, after his visit in Osimo.
San Marco’s Church
Open in weekdays: 7:30-12:30/15:30-19:00
It’s the first church that we can met entering in Osimo trough Porta Vaccaro. It represents the only testimony of a convent structure risen at the beginning of the XV century, modified during the XV century by the Dominican Friars.
The splendid baroque interior with a only one navy safeguards some artworks of fine workmanship as the solemn painting representing “Madonna of the Rosary with Child and Saints Dominic and St. Catherine of Siena” by the artist from Cento, Giovan Francesco Barbieri, better known as Guercino or the fresco of the V century by Pietro di Domenico da Montepulciano that shows “Madonna and Child Enthroned with Saints”, the only one part still visible of the original church.